Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mind over Matter

I've begun running again recently. I used to be a runner.   

It was my release, my freedom. It was how I unwound. 

And it was different then too. I could skip a week or three, and pick right back up, 8 mile pace, for  3 miles...no problem.

But when at age 36 I decided to run again, my body and I had a little disagreement.  After birthing two babies and adding a few years of life, my body was sure it was time to relax.  I just heard someone say that our bodies have one goal...to become mulch, and I think mine was well on the way.

So I got plugged into a running program and managed to run around the block. And then the neighborhood. And one rainy day, I even ran in a race.  

And then I gave in to my body and went back to holding the couch down for a few months. But now I'm back at it. 

Well, today I realized that I've gotten past the point of sheer effort and anguish.  Now my body is ready to go.

I was told years ago by one of my coaches that running is 85% mental.  I think he was wrong. I think it's 99% mental...give or take.

Because now I can go further, but I'm inclined to stop sooner than I should. I'm getting bored. And thirsty.  And sweaty.  I need chocolate.

Mind over matter. 

I've got a flaw. I love new things. Moving to new cities, trying new foods, starting new projects. Starting to get in shape. But then the new become routine and must be maintained. And that's where I usually start to lose momentum.

I procrastinate. 

Even with the things I love.  

James chapter 1 tells us this in verse 4: "And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

Lacking in nothing sounds amazing. Being perfect and complete sounds like something I desire. But first I must endure in testing. 

I must persever through the mundane. I must get up, put on my running shoes, and walk out the door, and then, run. And run well.  I must build up strength.

I must let endurance have its  perfect result. 

With the small things. Like words. And attitudes. 

With the details. A job done, or a job done well with a joyful heart. 

With the great matters of eternity and my soul.  I can tag a verse of the day, or dig in deep, in study, in prayer, in worship, and grow my soul. And then water the souls around me.

Endurance. The results are worth it.

And it all starts with mind over matter.  

No comments: