Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pinky Swear

Jason and I pinky-swore (can I say that? sweared?) Anyhow, we pinky-promised. And now I can't procrastinate.

I am really good at delaying the inevitable until it's not only happening, it's not fun anymore.  I've cultivated this habit from a young age. And I could call myself an expert now.

I remember in high-school, I would do my homework in class, while waiting for the bell to ring. I turned in reports with the ink still wet. 

And in college I honed my procrastination to a fine art.  Because as my husband says, you can study, sleep or socialize, but you can't do all 3.  

I majored in Journalism, for the simple reason that I am very good at meeting deadlines.  

Meeting, but not beating.

But now I'm many years past college.

I have kids. And I'm homeschooling them. And I cook all of our food from scratch because my son has food allergies. And I do some freelance work on the side to help pay the bills. 

And I still find time to procrastinate.

But I'm running out of time.

And it's sucking my joy out of life. 

And it's taking a toll on my family.  

Because my kids don't want to wear their winter clothes now that it's hot and mommy hasn't done laundry because she had to finish some things.

And we're all getting a little tired of the very dry, nasty rice bread that is the only kind I can buy because I haven't had time to make some because I had to wrap something up.

And I miss hanging out with my family on my husband's days off because I was on facebook and youtube when I should have been working, and now I have to get a bunch of stuff done.

One pastor who was a mentor in my life and my husband's life always said that if you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong. 

This time of life, when bills are high and salaries are low; when ambition competes with our desire for sleep; when children are small and we are their life; this time of life is good but hard. 

And it should be full of fun. Full of joy. Because these are building years. We can accomplish much, and God surely has much to accomplish through and in us. If only I'll work when I should work.

And I pinky-promised I would.

No comments: